University of Minnesota Physics and Nanotechnology
Gephart partnered with Mortenson Construction on this flexible-use laboratory facility which accommodates 200 faculty, post-doctorate, and graduate students at the University of Minnesota. The five-story project marked Gephart’s 50th for the university and built on a valued relationship of a long-time client. Following the completion of the project, Gephart was invited back to build out two additional labs and to perform department-specific work for the facility tenants.
Gephart’s early involvement in the project allowed us to incorporate significant value analysis items during preconstruction that included:
- Alternate light fixture design
- Packaging and buyout
- Aluminum feeder conductors
- Expanded use of underground feeder installations
- Duct bank routing and logistics
- Cleanroom feeder routing
- Early procurement of materials based on BIM model
- Worked with long-time CPP partner and woman-owned Gunnar Electric to surpass the WBE/MBE Targeted Group Business participation goal by 11%.
- Kept project on 22-month fast track by coming up with efficient designs for the duct bank and feeder conduit routes.
- Gephart’s superintendent was given Mortenson’s Pinnacle Performer Award for his leadership on the project.
- Mortenson Pinnacle Performer Award