Minnesota Zoo Russia’s Grizzly Coast Exhibit
Gephart was hired to provide design-assist support for the construction of this $24 million exhibit at the Minnesota Zoo with the deadline set to coincide with the zoo’s 30th anniversary. The exhibit was the zoo’s largest initiative since opening in 1978 and was the first major exhibit ever developed to feature the wilderness of the Russian Far East.
Gephart provided design-assist support for the construction of this groundbreaking zoo exhibit. Gephart’s contributions included:
- Thorough review of plans and designs during preplanning and coordination to help finalize the electrical and communications systems
- Creation of several custom solutions, including an installation of heated shotcrete rock formations for the bears to lie on
- Designed and constructed a custom light fixture trolley assembly to allow maintenance of all lighting systems for the otter holding tanks
- Installed the control wiring to monitor and regulate life support systems
- Gephart successfully completed the project on schedule after 23 months.
- The exhibit has helped increase zoo attendance to record-setting levels.
- Top honors in the Exhibit Design and Marketing Excellence categories from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums